Revolution#123, March 16, 2008
Revolution Books/Libros Revolución presents:
Re-envisioning Revolution and Communism:
WHAT IS BOB AVAKIAN’S NEW SYNTHESIS?
Presentation followed by discussion
(see below for locations and dates)
ON A PLANET WHERE OVER A BILLION PEOPLE LIVE ON LESS THAN $2 A DAY, FACING THE PROSPECT OF STARVATION... where the lives of millions of children are cut short by curable diseases... where brutal wars grind on in Iraq and Afghanistan and hellholes like Guantánamo stay “open for business”...where nooses spring up like weeds, immigrants are hunted and the availability of abortion is rapidly disappearing...
where youth are treated as either criminals or commodities...and where all this is totally UNNECESSARY—the world badly needs revolution.
Revolutionary state power will set about ending these horrors and meeting the pressing needs of the people. But a truly emancipatory socialism must do more than that. It must lay the basis, and take concrete steps, toward a society where people consciously change the world and themselves, in a society of freely associating human beings and where the need for any kind of state has been surpassed.
In that light, Bob Avakian has done path-breaking work to go beyond even the best of the previous socialist societies and re-envisioned a socialism that is both visionary and viable. His “new synthesis” has tackled a whole realm of questions, including:
- HOW DOES THE NEW REVOLUTIONARY POWER MAINTAIN POWER and maintain it as a power worth keeping? How does it not just survive in a world dominated by imperialism, but do that as a base area for further revolutions?
- WHAT WOULD BE THE ROLE OF INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS, civil society, and politics outside the purview of the state? What would be the role of a constitution and elections? Why would this re-envisioned socialism not only tolerate, but foster, dissent?
- WHAT WOULD BE THE RELATION BETWEEN SCIENTISTS, ARTISTS, AND INTELLECTUALS carrying out urgent work to meet the most pressing needs of society and, at the same time, pursuing work, experimentation, and exploration not tied to those kinds of immediate goals? How would the age-old division between those who work with ideas and those who are locked out of that, be overcome—in a way that does not sacrifice but actually enhances vibrancy and intellectual ferment throughout society in unprecedented ways?
- WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF A FEARLESS ATTITUDE TOWARD THE TRUTH and what have been the shortcomings and blinders in regard to this in the communist movement as it has developed?
- HOW DOES THIS NEW SYNTHESIS BOTH CONTINUE ON THE PATH FIRST CHARTED BY MARX, LENIN AND MAO—AND YET GO BEYOND IT, IN NEW AND CRUCIAL WAYS?
- WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF TAKING BOB AVAKIAN’S NEW SYNTHESIS OUT INTO SOCIETY TODAY? What does all this have to do with how to prepare for revolution? What difference does it make if the people who will make the communist revolution get involved in wrestling with what it is all about and the means to make it?
Come hear the presentation and wrangle over all this.
Bob Avakian is the leader of the Revolutionary Communist Party, USA. And he is more than that: he’s an innovative and critical thinker who has taken Marxism to a new place; he’s a provocative commentator on everything from basketball to religion, doo-wop music to science; and he’s a pit-bull fighter against oppression who’s kept both his solemn sense of purpose and his irrepressible sense of humor.
Bob Avakian will not be in attendance at this event.
Saturday, March 22nd • 1 to 5 pm
525 S. State Street
At State & Congress
Red line to Harrison stop, then walk 1 block north.
Brown, Pink, Orange lines to Library stop, then walk 1 block east, 1 block south
Simultaneous Spanish interpretation will be available
Venue is accessible
Parking/ride sharing – call for information
*This program is not sponsored by or affiliated with University Center
Saturday, March 22nd • 1 to 5 pm
The New LATC
514 S. Spring Street
One block east of Broadway
in downtown LA between 5th & 6th
Simultaneous Spanish translation will be available
Saturday, March 22nd • 2 pm
Black Repertory Theater
3201 Adeline St, Berkeley
1 block south of Ashby BART
Spanish translation will be available
$10 sliding scale admission
For further information: 510-848-1196 / www.revolutionbooks.org
Download PDF flyer for Berkeley event
If you like this article, subscribe, donate to and sustain Revolution newspaper.